Developing people is the practical outworking of the life and message of Jesus. Jesus demonstrated the heart of a God who enters into the mess of life with us, and got his hands dirty developing ordinary people to do extraordinary things.
- He demonstrated how to minister to the needs of all sorts of people
- He chose 12 people to spiritually develop as He did life with them (Mark 3:14)
- He taught them and modeled for them a way of life (Matthew 4:19, 16:8-10)
- He had them “go try it” but brought them back to give feedback (Matt. 10:5-8, 17:19-20)
- Finally, he fully delegated and empowered them to do all he had done (Matt. 28:18-20)
Everyone can develop someone! God made us that way. We can procreate, so obviously God thinks we have the ability to develop people—the question is “Will we?” Will we overcome our fears or inhibitions or excuses because “No one developed me!” Will we instead follow Him and let Him equip us to be developers of people? In the next few posts, I’ll be exploring the whys and hows of developing others. But no matter what task, role, or responsibility, you can develop others. It’s possible if you follow Him.